Are you sure you want to delete your account?
You have indicated you do not agree to our terms of use, do you wish to delete your account?
Why not sign up?

You will also be registered for the agent to contact you via other means you provide, with information relevant to your property search.

There was an error creating your account, please try again. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will investigate.
Password does not match

How would you like to be contacted?

Conveyancers – What are they and how do the help you?

published on 06/12/2017  

If you decide to buy or sell a property, you’ll need the help of a conveyancer to do the necessary paperwork. You can find a conveyancer through a firm of solicitors, or a licensed conveyancing firm.

A conveyancer will act on your behalf when you are buying or selling a property with the conveyancers acting for the people you are selling to or buying from. The main part of their job is to obtain the Deeds of the property and do any necessary searches with the local council.

This ensures that there are no problems. For example, there may have been a dispute about access to a parking space in the past, or the local council may have plans to build a main road close to the property. That’s why its important to use a conveyancer because they will find out any important pieces of information that may affect your sale or purchase.

Once the necessary enquiries have been dealt with they will then arrange to have the contracts signed and the deposit paid. After that you can set a date for completion. On this date the conveyancer will receive the monies form the mortgage company and pass it on to the other conveyancers if you’re buying or receive it if you’re selling.

After completion the conveyancer will pay any tax and/or stamp duty to the appropriate organisations and your Deeds will be sent to your mortgage provider.

You will either deal with a solicitor who is qualified to deal with conveyancing, or you can use a licensed conveyancer. A licensed conveyancer is not a solicitor, but will have been trained and have the relevant qualifications to deal with conveyancing matters.

You might come across a conveyancing firm online. They will give you a fixed fee for the work that needs to be done, but of course unlike a solicitor you can’t just pop in and ask them a quick question as everything will have to be done online and through emails. If you feel there may be a complication, or you like to deal with people face to face, then it is better to use a licensed conveyancer with premises you can visit or the conveyancing department of a solicitor’s office.

You can ask us, Goss & Co for a recommendation. We will have links to local conveyancing companies and solicitors. Then get in touch with them, tell them what you need and ask them for a quote. Tags: Conveyancer, Solicitor, Stamp Duty, Tax